Kevin Qualls Family Law
Maintaining Professionalism. Preserving Civility. Finding Answers. Practical Guidance On Important Divorce And Custody Matters

If life circumstances changed, consider a support modification

A previous post on this blog talked when Orange County, California, parents can seek modification of their child support obligation. Generally speaking, a parent can do so whenever they can demonstrate that there has been a change in circumstances.

While ultimately the judge will decide what exactly a change in circumstances is, there is no doubt that in many cases, a California parent truly needs to obtain a child support modification.

For example, parents can lose their jobs or have to take a different job at a lower pay, meaning that a child support order which was once reasonable may suddenly be cutting in to money that a parent needs to meet his or her own daily needs.

On the other hand, a parent who is charged with raising a child day to day may find out that the other parent recently got a big raise or promotion or has otherwise been enjoying a higher income. Even if the other parent legitimately earned his or her additional pay, it is only fair that some of that should go to the support of that parent's children.

The professionals at our law office know how critical getting a support modification can be for a parent, whether they are trying to make sure their child is getting financial support that is adequate or are trying to make ends meet while still doing right by their children, our experienced professionals will help clients decide whether pursuing a modification is really the best course of action and, if it is, will take the steps necessary to do so.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Kevin Qualls Family Law
625 The City Drive South
Suite 470
Orange, CA 92868
Toll Free: 800-783-1934
Fax: 714-750-5983
Map and Directions