Kevin Qualls Family Law
Maintaining Professionalism. Preserving Civility. Finding Answers. Practical Guidance On Important Divorce And Custody Matters

Complaint resolution program available for child support issues

Child support issues can become thorny, particularly if a child support modification is sought. After all, any issue regarding money has the potential to escalate.

When it comes to child support in California, sometimes the paying parent wishes to pay less due to an unforeseen change in circumstances, and, on the flip side, the receiving parent may feel that some significant change has taken place that warrants an increase in the amount of support paid.

When there are child support issues in California, either parent can seek to have it resolved by their local child support agency (LCSA.) However, what happens if a parent is not satisfied with the help they have been seeking from the LCSA?

If a parent has a complaint regarding the help they've been getting from the LCSA, they can file an official complaint. This is done through the Complaint Resolution Program. In the Complaint Resolution Program, a person other than the original caseworker will perform an investigation into the parent's complaint to try to reach a resolution. The LCSA will be informed as to what, if anything, they need to do to fix the issue.

There are a number of issues that the Complaint Resolution Program can address. These include the LCSA's decision to either open or close a case, the LCSA's failure to obtain an order with the court for child support, the LCSA's collection and distribution of child support, the amount of past due payments the LCSA calculated, the LCSA's efforts to seek a modification of child support, the LCSA's timeliness of help, and the efforts the LCSA made to enforce an existing child support order.

That being said, there are also a number of issues that the Complaint Resolution Program cannot address. These include current or delinquent child support that are ordered by the court, child custody and visitation decisions, alimony decisions, issues with services received from the court and violations of one's civil rights.

In the end, parents deserve to receive fair and appropriate help from the LCSA. Therefore, they should know that they can file a complaint if they feel the help they received was inadequate. By doing so, they may be able to see a successful resolution to their child support issues.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Kevin Qualls Family Law
625 The City Drive South
Suite 470
Orange, CA 92868
Toll Free: 800-783-1934
Fax: 714-750-5983
Map and Directions