Kevin Qualls Family Law
Maintaining Professionalism. Preserving Civility. Finding Answers. Practical Guidance On Important Divorce And Custody Matters

October 2016 Archives

When artists divorce, it raises unique property division issues

Orange County is home to many artists. Artists may assume that unsold artwork they created, whether it is in storage, on loan to a museum or hanging in the family home, is their property. However, they may be surprised to find out that in the case of a divorce, "their" artwork may actually be marital property.

What happens to child custody when the child is sick?

Life can throw a wrench into even the most well-crafted parenting plan following a divorce. For example, California parents can expect that their child will get sick from time to time. However, what happens if the child is ill during the child custody exchange, that is, when the child is to go from one parent's home to the other parent's home? Should the parents go ahead with the exchange, or should they wait until the child is better?

What happens if you fall behind on child support payments?

There may be understandable reasons as to why Californians have fallen behind on child support payments. These include major illnesses or a job loss. Nonetheless, one's obligation to pay child support will not go away, and the failure to do so could lead to some undesirable consequences.

Domestic partnerships are still an option in California

The 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges made same-sex marriage legal in all states. However, many couples in California already entered into registered domestic partnerships, and the Obergefell ruling did not change California's domestic partnership laws or make them invalid. This is because a marriage license is not the same as a domestic partnership registration. Therefore, the California Secretary of State's office will still process the creation and the termination of domestic partnerships.

Kevin Qualls Family Law
625 The City Drive South
Suite 470
Orange, CA 92868
Toll Free: 800-783-1934
Fax: 714-750-5983
Map and Directions